About

Friday, May 11, 2012

Frankenpolish May: How to

Hello!

This post is gonna be a little bit different, I am gonna show you, how I make my frankens. Usually people use steel balls and funnels, but I do it a little bit different. I don't have balls and my arms would fell off if I tried to shake the polishes together :)

Step 1: Gather the things. You will need:
- nail polish of your choice (you can also use loose eyeshadow or glitter, but I don't recommend it. I only had bad experiences with it, nail polish is too thin and can't hold them, so it all sinks down into a thick mess. Glitter can also discolor or melt. If you plan on trying with glitter or pigments, try with suspension base instead of regular nail polish)
- scissors
- plastic baggie (like the ones for freezing vegetables)
- a toothpick






Step 2: Cut one off the closed edges off. This will serve you as a "mixing bowl".




Step 3: Grab your empty bottle and fill it up with nail polish, that you would like to mix together (in ratio, that you need for desired color). Usually, I fill the bottle up to 90%, so there is still some room for potential changes. It doesn't matter, which polish you pour in first. I would however strongly recommend you mixing only a few drops on a piece of paper first to see, how the polishes will look together. Sometimes things look completely different in our head :)



Step 4: Take the bottle and carefully empty it in the cut off corner of the plastic baggie.


Step 5: Grab your toothpick and start mixing it all together.



Step 6: Mix until everything blends together. This is the part, where you can still change the color by adding drops of polish (that's why I don't fill the bottle completely).



Step 7: Grab the bottom corner, by that you will push the polish up. Hold it tightly, so that the polish can't get in that corner, then cut that little piece of corner off.



Step 8: Hold it over the bottle and then release it, this will pour the polish into the bottle.




Step 9: Once it stops running on it's own, you can squeeze almost everything out.



And the final result :) 
For this I used black glitter in jelly black base and various red glitter (mixing ratio 1:1) and a few drops of white polish.


I hope you find this post helpful, if something is still unclear, just ask :)
Thanks for stopping by**

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the step by step. I really want to play around with mixing new colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a cool way, my hand usually falls off from shaking ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was fantastic! Thanks! I need to get my hands on some empty bottles soon! My kids have been wanting to do this forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, glad I could help you :)

      Delete

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...